Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Full Service or Self Service Christianity?

As a child I was first introduced to a concept which soon disappeared. My father and I were at the old Shell Station when I noticed that gas stations had two sections labeled “Full Service” and “Self Service.” My father pulled up to the “Self Service” section and began pumping gas. This was the first time I had noticed the signs and as inquisitive minds are apt, I intended to get to the bottom of things. My father returned to the brown Chevy Custom, handed me my usual Chocolate Soldier, and I asked him the difference between “Full” and “Self” service. “Self Service” involved an individual pumping his own gas. At the cost of a few extra pennies, you could choose “Full Service.” An individual would come to your vehicle and pump gas for you. He would also check the air in your tires, oil in your vehicle, and other fluids. This method began to disappear over time and as I grew older I forgot until I was getting gas this past Christmas. I saw a “Full Service” sign at a gas station which had been scratched out. What happened to “Full Service” stations? They still exist in New Jersey and Oregon, which require all gas stations to be “Full Service” but are largely non-existent elsewhere.

In many aspects of life, “Full Service” seems to be slipping away. There seems to be more focus on “What can be done for me?” instead of “What can I do for others?” Christians must remember that the Master never intended we live a life of “Self Service.” This was the truth He spoke when washing the feet of His disciples (John 13). He was willing to wash the feet of His disciples, thereby being a servant to them should not His people also be willing to serve those who are in need? “If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.” (John 13:14). After all, we are not better than our Master (John 13:16) and should follow the example of servitude, which He gave to us. “For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you” (John 13:15).

If one were to examine the lives and writings of many of the early New Testament Christians, each lived a life of servitude. The early church gave when others were in need (Acts 2:45). This was something different at the time as the Jews were not known for giving “as every man had need.” The early church was well known for its benevolence towards others. Even if one looks at one of the three pictures of the judgment, it is easy to see the eternal need of being a “Full Service Christian” (Matthew 25:31-46). How many will be cast into “everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels” because “ye visited me not”?

“As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith” (Galatians 6:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment