Thursday, July 17, 2014

What Does God's Grace Teach Us (1)



There are numerous teachers in this world. There are secular teachers. These are individuals who teach in schools or colleges. These individuals teach basic subjects such as Mathematics or Social Studies. These may also teach more advanced subjects. I, while study for an Associate’s Degree in Computer Science, took programming classes such as COBOL, RPG, and C++. Bible Teachers do a lot do ensure the spiritual growth of those individuals who attend classes. Experience is also a teacher. As a child, I can remember a young girl who my mother babysat and a learning experience she had. The house I lived in had an old wood burning stove which kept us warm during the winter. My mother would warn this small child to never touch the stove lest she should burn her fingers. Well, one day the child decided to ignore my mother’s warnings and touched the stove. While she was not hurt, she learned a valuable lesson and never touched the stove again. She would just look at it and whisper, “Hot.” Man also learns from the experiences of others. I can remember an instructor at Memphis saying, “I learned what not to do around my parents from the whippings my brother received.” The Bible even speaks of God wanting those of Judah to learn from the experiences of Israel what NOT to do concerning their faithfulness (Jer. 2-6). Paul wrote to Titus concerning another teacher.

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works” (Titus 2:11-14).

When we talk about the grace of God, we talk about God’s unmerited favor towards man. That is, when God looked down to Earth, He did not look at Andrew Crowe and say, “That’s a great guy and so faithful that I think I’ll show my grace to all mankind.” In fact, Paul wrote to Titus that, “He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to His own mercy…” (Titus 3:5a ESV). It is this grace which brings salvation to mankind (Eph. 2:8-9). It is a teacher. What does it teach us?

No comments:

Post a Comment