Friday, August 2, 2013

What Sets You Apart?

Before I became a Christian, I had a conversation with a gentleman on the subject of Christianity. We discussed many things on the subject. I cannot remember most of the conversation but I certainly remember the end of the conversation. He said, “One of the biggest problems in Christianity is that Christians do not set themselves apart from the world.” I could not deny what he told me. The Israelites were to be a peculiar people compared to the world around them (Exodus 19:5; Deuteronomy 14:2; 26:18). Today, Christians are the peculiar people set apart from the rest of the world (Titus 2:14; 1 Peter 2:9). I listened intently as he continued. “Christians need to understand the need to be separate from the world around them. We can’t be one with the world.” I could not argue with his statement (James 4:4; 1 John 2:15). I must admit that I was somewhat excited at this point. “That’s why I’ve done something that sets me apart from the world?” It was an interesting statement on his part. He had something which sets him apart from the world around him. I listened with intent to see what this seemingly elusive thing was. Was it something from the scripture? Was it some overlooked passage which man has misunderstood for ages? The excitement was getting to me. Finally he said, “That’s why I have a bumper sticker!”

To say that I was disappointed is an understatement. I was not very knowledgeable at the time but I know that a bumper sticker was not going to help me go to Heaven. I have nothing against the stickers but Christ never said, “He that believeth and has a bumper sticker shall be saved.” One is almost reminded of the Israelites of 1 Samuel 4. “We have the ark! It will help us win the battle! Wait! Why are the Philistines running off with the ark?” If one places trust in a physical item for salvation, it will fail them. A shirt, bumper sticker, or wristband, while not wrong, will not set one apart from the world. “By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” (Hebrews 10:10). It is the blood of Christ which makes us nigh (Ephesians 2:13; cf. Ephesians 1:3, 7). One comes in contact with the blood through baptism into Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:27). I never saw the man again although I wish I could. I would tell him what I have done to set myself apart from the world. I obeyed the gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment